In 2017 Affinity Living Group opened the doors of its 100th community. Today, they are on track to operate over 150 communities. This privately held senior living organization is now the 11th largest provider of assisted living in the United States, the 6th largest provider of memory care, and the single largest provider in the Southeast. By the end of 2019, Affinity’s team of over 4,000 FTEs will serve over 12,000 residents. With an appetite for continued growth, Affinity’s business plan is to provide quality affordable housing and care for middle-income residents.
First and foremost, the CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER of this enterprise with be a demonstrated leader with a track record of operating large, multi-site, multi-state growth-driven organizations. Day-to-day operational focus is imperative. Leading system integration is essential and a sense of urgency is critical to support the evolution of an organization built on the vision of its charismatic founder and owner.
The Chief Operating Officer will have strong execution skills, will have the ability & desire to translate the founder’s vision into an organization with a compelling culture built on strong systems, standardized operating procedures & measured by concrete & transparent performance metrics. This COO will be responsible for delivering results on a day-to-day and quarter-to-quarter basis, allowing the CEO to focus almost exclusively on the future growth and strategic direction of the enterprise.
With a collaborative spirit and a bias for action, the desired individual will have the people & leadership skills to lead a rapidly growing enterprise while at the same time building a critical and fundamental relationship of trust with the CEO.
Proven, confident and dynamic, the Chief Operating Officer will have an enthusiasm for excellence, a commitment to quality and a passion for collaboration and partnership. Strong interpersonal skills, mentoring abilities and relationship-building skills are essential for this evolving culture, and the ability to align multiple constituents for success. This individual will be comfortable and able to lead from behind, as well as the front, in order to drive the operations of this large, dynamic and evolving enterprise.
Affinity Living Group was founded in 2016 by Charlie Trefzger. Charlie wanted to provide an alternative for middle class Americans who could not afford high-end communities. The organization is privately and solely owned by Mr. Trefzger and Affinity’s focus has been on the Southeastern United States.
Today Affinity’s goals are:
- Focus on value pricing strategies for the middle market
- Bundle care and participate in managed care models
- Leverage technology that produces reliable data for operations, clinical outcomes and medicalization of senior living
- Select, secure & train a quality workforce
Affinity Living Group is located in Hickory, 52 miles from the Charlotte, NC airport.
Communities by State (not including new development):
North Carolina: 80
South Carolina: 2
CRITICAL CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS
- Able and eager to execute the vision of the owner, Charlie Trefzger.
- Minimum of 5 years multi-site, multi-state experience as a COO, Divisional Leader, Vice President or Large Regional Operator with significant P & L accountability
- Minimum of 7 – 10 years senior leadership experience
- Experienced senior care operator or quick study from related healthcare industry
- A strong operator with a track record of delivering financial, quality and project results on scheduled timelines in multiple service lines
- Embraces aggressive growth, both de novo and through large and single acquisitions
- Experience with integration of diverse organizations in to one culture and operating model
- A track record of corporate or regional leadership that demonstrates vision, inclusion with clinical leaders and financial viability
- Experience in creating a cooperative culture that demonstrate shared success
- Proven leadership skills managing large teams in complex cross functional environments
- Experience &/or passion for working in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Able to merge cultures and create a strong infrastructure built on processes, procedures and systems.
- Outstanding communication skills
- Embraces and can build an operating model & culture that exists to support the field
- A passion for operations , visible and boots-on-the-ground leader
- A natural mentor with a strong affinity for managing to metrics and benchmarks, who holds self and others accountable and has a proven ability to deliver results.
- A bias for action with strong execution skills
- Creates and maintains partnerships between associates, the community, and those served that fosters an environment honoring individual preferences, choices and traditions
- Skilled at interpreting financial information and performance, translating that to actions that will drive the intended outcomes
- Personable and collaborative, able to interact with all levels of staff across a wide range of disciplines
- Approachable and honest with uncompromising ethics
- Able to travel extensively
- Embraces move to Charlotte /Hickory North Carolina
An advanced degree in Business Administration, Healthcare Administration or related field is required.
- Shadows CEO, develops strong foundation of trust
- Comprehensively assesses current operations and leadership team
- Clarifies and codifies reporting relationships, role definition, chain of command and associated accountability.
- Collaborates with field and home office members to standardize and centralize current operating tools, processes & procedures throughout the system.
- Recruits, develops, empowers, and retains strong operating team
- Develops overall workforce plan
- Installs fundamental metrics and creates aggressive but achievable individual and organizational benchmarks. Teaches skills and provides tools to achieve results.
- Identifies, mentors and develops leaders.
- Interprets financial and performance information to drive results in quality & financial performance.
- Participates in benchmarking (internal and external) for exceptional performance.
- Accesses and develops systems that advance sales processes, expertise and results.
SELECT DUTIES AND RESPONIBILITIES
- In collaboration with the CEO drives Affinity forward:
- Gathers meaningful and actionable management data across the system
- Implements operating refinements as warranted to achieve requisite outcomes
- Leads in the sharing and implementation of best practices
- Utilizes metrics and benchmarks with an emphasis on system-wide improvement programs
- Orchestrate alignment of efforts system-wide
- Assesses needs and rolls out a facility capital improvement plans
- Supports and facilitates creativity, innovation and cost-effective continuous improvement efforts as they relate to all operations and quality of service rendered to those served
- Ensures values and philosophy are understood and demonstrated by staff and management
- Bears overall responsibility for the safe, efficient operation of all service lines within the system, as well as the integration of acquisitions and expansions of existing communities, ensuring short- and long-range goals and objectives are achieved
- Ensures operating budget and capital plans are developed and achieved
- Collaborates with Clinical Operations executive to sustain high quality services through effective policies, practices and procedures
- Monitors, evaluates and takes appropriate action pursuant to achieving and maintaining high satisfaction for residents and families, and an engaged work force.
- Provides leadership for innovative and creative problem solving
- Supports behaviors that seek continuous learning, improvement and empowerment through team leadership.
- Supports, trains and mentors direct reports
A comprehensive and competitive Executive compensation & benefits package will be offered.
Our client and The Buffkin Group firmly support the principle and philosophy of equal opportunity for all individuals, regardless of age, race, gender, creed, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other protected category pursuant to applicable federal, state or local law.
Brenda Doherty, Partner
Ryan Baggett, Principal