Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI) is a performing rights organization that collects license fees on behalf of its songwriters, composers and music publishers and distributes them as royalties to those members whose works have been performed. BMI currently represents more than 6.5 million compositions – a number that is constantly growing. As a result, BMI has, over the years, sought out and implemented a number of technological innovations in its continuing effort to gather the most accurate information available about where, when and how its members’ compositions are used as well as ensuring that payment to those whose works have been performed is made in as precise and timely a manner as possible.
BMI was founded in 1939 by forward-thinkers who wanted to represent songwriters in emerging genres, like jazz, blues and country, and protect the public performances of their music. Operating on a non-profit-making basis, BMI is now the largest music rights organization in the U.S. and is still nurturing new talent and new music.
The VP of Creative Services will be responsible for managing affiliate accounts and assisting in growth and development of the overall company. This involves expanding and securing new business, managing current accounts, and participating in the internal management of the company. This individual will guide staff development through identifying skills needs, delegating tasks appropriately and motivating staff to provide outstanding customer service
- Minimum B.S. or B.A. degree from an accredited university.
- 10 years’ experience in music publishing or PRO related practical experience.
- A wide awareness if not hands on understanding of the media business and fully understand BMI’s role within the market.
- Thorough knowledge of music publishing, songwriting and recorded music.
- Possess the ability and willingness to support, foster and grow new budding talent while being able to connect and maintain writing/performing affiliates at the highest level.
- The ability to assess creative talent is paramount.
- The ability to move between the creative and business community in a way that benefits BMI market share.
- Multitasking over a wide range of requests from a large number of industry peers, writer and publishers.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Extended hours beyond 40 as needed.
- Flexibility for travel
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Grows and maintains the market share and affiliate base for all genres that emanate from the region.
- Manages the executive and administrative staff to achieve the market share goals and services relating to the corresponding affiliate base.
- Be integrated into the music business and business community in a way that builds BMI’s presence as a player in the music business and a partner in the community.
- Oversees recognition of writers in the region from basic and low-level events to large events including the Country Awards.
- Oversees and controls all budgetary expenses for the department.
- Involvement at a high level with industry organizations to build BMI’s profile within the industry.
- Develops and executes programs to attract and grow new affiliates to BMI to include but not limited to showcases, seminars, industry conventions, festivals and other educational events.
- Recognizes future opportunities of repertoire growth and aggressively brings it into the BMI catalog.
- Upholds BMI’s core values; supports and cultivates a culture of diversity and inclusion.
- Supervisory Responsibilities: Directly supervises departmental team members. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training team members; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining team members; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Physical/Visual Activities or Demands: Physical/visual activities or demands that are commonly associated with the performance functions of this job.
- Sitting, talking, hearing, walking.
- Concentrated mental and visual attention with normal hand-eye coordination.
- Clarity of vision at 20 inches; corrected or uncorrected.
- Generally negligible physical effort, but occasional moving of 1 to 10 lb. items.
- Other duties as assigned.
Our client and Buffkin/Baker firmly support the principle and philosophy of equal opportunity for all individuals, regardless of age, race, gender, creed, national origin, disability, veteran status of any other protected category pursuant to applicable federal, state or local law.
Buffkin / Baker
10 Cadillac Drive, Suite 190
Nashville, TN 37027
Tom Truitt, Partner
Office: (615) 988-2589
Cell: (615) 300-3323