Fluent (NASDAQ: FLNT) is the trusted acquisition partner for both established and growing brands. Leveraging our proprietary first party data asset, Fluent creates marketing programs that deliver better digital advertising experiences for consumers and measurable results for advertisers. Founded in 2010, the company, headquartered in New York City, has grown rapidly and profitably.
Fluent was spun out of its parent company on March 26, 2018 and is now a “pure play” independent publicly traded entity (“FLNT”). This transaction enabled the shareholders to unlock the growth and margin potential of Fluent. The consensus estimates for calendar year 2019 are $291 million in revenue and $0.25 in EPS.
Fluent has positioned itself at the intersection of media, data, adtech and agency / marketing services. This allows the company to solve mission critical marketing problems: performance marketing that allows a tangible ROI on marketing spend, digitally engaging the right consumer in real-time with the right offer through the right channel at the right time. In addition to the focus on rapid organic revenue growth of Fluent, the management anticipates additional growth through synergistic global acquisitions. The company is anticipating an exciting period of growth and profitability in the foreseeable future with the continued expansion across all marketing channels – acquisition, retention and loyalty.
We enable our clients to understand, engage, and acquire their ideal customers more strategically with unique insights.
Data Acquisition for CRM Marketing
- Marketers partner with us to build highly qualified databases that enable them to grow their business and maintain valuable, long-term relationships with their customers.
Data for Programmatic Targeting
- Audience Now, our programmatic offering, enables health marketers to reach consumers in an efficient and scalable way.
Performance Marketing Solutions
Use our unique insights to drive increased visibility, reach, customer and user acquisition across channels.
- Brands and advertisers work with us to drive traffic to their websites and offers via our proprietary placements and only pay when consumers take specific actions. We work with performance marketers across every consumer vertical and have a well-deserved reputation for having the industry’s best quality and scale.
- We help subscription marketers identify the right prospects for their offer using self-declared insights to better scale their acquisition campaigns.
Intelligent User Acquisition for Mobile Apps
- Developers and app marketers use Fluent’s unique first party data to drive intelligent user acquisition and scale downloads of their app.
Pay Per Call
- Telemarketers work with Fluent to drive qualified calls by tapping into our massive reservoir of first-party data and TCPA compliant opt-ins.
A Board Member for Fluent will provide strategic and organizational planning for growth to maximize enterprise value and will steadfastly support the company’s mission. S/he will command the respect and confidence of a high-performance Board of Directors through her/his domain knowledge, proven experience and leadership quality. If selected, the individual will play an important role in setting the future strategy for Fluent. It is essential that a Board member possess the business experience and strategic skills to help develop innovative solutions to complex problems and support a high-performance culture. The candidate must be a strong leader who quickly grasps the key aspects of Fluent’s operations and culture. The ideal candidate will enhance the profile and prestige of a rapidly growing and highly profitable enterprise that occupies a unique position in today’s permission-based first party data. Fluent’s owned and operated databases power performance marketing campaigns of some of the largest brands across practically all vertical industry segments. The ideal Board member will be able to meld culturally with a young, dynamic, and entrepreneurial leadership team that is striving for an accelerated growth of Fluent’s revenue and profit base both in the U.S. and globally into other markets. The selected individual will also be comfortable in providing mentorship to the entire leadership team through her/his prior Board experience, wisdom, and practical counsel.
The Board Member will have experience as either (1) General Counsel of a public company; (2) Corporate Attorney with significant capital raise and M&A experience; and/or (3) Legal Professional with substantial experience executing M&A and Financing transactions. S/he will actively participate in the Company’s legal matters, partnering with the CEO, COO, and General Counsel. A key requirement is a deep understanding and experience with legal, regulatory, and privacy matters in a rapidly evolving digital and data marketplace.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide Legal advice for regulatory and privacy compliance in data industry
- Ensure strong legal oversight and regulatory compliance
- Serve as an active legal advocate for the organization and fully engage in identifying and securing the financial resources and partnerships necessary for Fluent to advance its mission
- Leverage connections, networks and resources to enable Fluent’s mission
- Prepare for, attend, and conscientiously participate in board meetings
- Participate fully in one or more committees
- Work with CEO on all major transactions including capital raises, debt, major partnerships, and mergers and acquisitions
- Advise COO on proper legal protocols and regulatory requirements as they relate to data
- Assess Board’s own performance as the governing body of Fluent
- Pace, passion and performance orientation
- Ability to fearlessly confront and address internal and external issues with candor and compassion
- Strong appreciation for the people, their families and the company culture
- Flexibility and nuanced ability to make the right priority at the right time
- Sense of thriving on chaos
- Relatable and approachable
- Ability to see gray—have a high degree of intuition
- Decisive and have resolve to stick to convictions
- Normalcy and security—a sense of confidence and self-esteem, without being conceited
- Embrace the Jack Welch “4E’s of Leadership”—which the company can model upon:
- Positive and abundant energy
- Ability to energize others
- Edge to summon the courage to make fast and tough decisions
- Ability to execute and control cost
- 10+ years minimum experience as a senior leader of a NASDAQ or NYSE publicly traded company
- 15+ years total legal experience with M&A and international expertise
- Leadership experience in data and data privacy, preferably in media/technology context
- Excellent strategic thinking skills, problem solving skills and leadership skills
- Significant experience communicating with the government entities and regulatory bodies
- Significant experience from legal perspective in debt markets to include debt restructuring and other methods of using debt as a tool to fund growth
- Demonstrated experience and success in providing legal guidance during capital raise process
- Experience in technology and/or data driven businesses preferred
- A leader who naturally commands the respect of Board of Directors peers
- Proven experience communicating the value proposition of a growing, profitable enterprise to the outside world of investors and other stakeholders
- Cultural fit with a young, entrepreneurial and aspiring organization
- Passion and desire to guide and build a start- up into a powerhouse
CURRENT BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Ryan is a Long Island, NY native, hailing from Huntington, NY. He attended St. John’s where he met Matt Conlin and they embarked on their first enterprise: selling mixtapes on campus. Both Ryan and Matt describe themselves as huge hip hop fans and brag that Fluent’s first publishing partners were leading mixtape websites. Before Fluent, Ryan and Matt worked at Innovation Ads and Clash Media, where they conceptualized the business and met some of their founding partners. In addition to Fluent, Ryan and his wife are passionate about giving back and have formed a family foundation committed to bettering the lives of children in challenging situations; a topic that is close to their hearts as they raise their two children.
Matt was born in Ann Arbor, MI and moved to New York to attend St. John’s. As serendipity would have it, he met Ryan Schulke and they embarked on their first enterprise: selling mixtapes on campus. Both Matt and Ryan describe themselves as huge hip hop fans and brag that Fluent’s first publishing partners were leading mixtape websites. Before Fluent, Matt and Ryan worked at Innovation Ads and Clash Media, where they conceptualized the business and met some of their founding partners. When Matt is not globetrotting for work, he much prefers to spend time traveling with his wife and cheering on the Michigan Wolverines.
Mr. Frawley has served as a Director of Curo Group Holdings Corp (NYSE: CURO) since its initial public offering in December 2017. Mr. Frawley currently serves as the Chief Executive Officer of AJ Frawley & Associates LLC. From December 2014 to September 2016, Mr. Frawley served as Chief Executive Officer of Epsilon, a segment of Alliance Data Systems Corporation. Prior to that, he served as Epsilon’s President from January 2012 to December 2014 and as its President of Marketing Technology from January 2009 to December 2011. Mr. Frawley also currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Data & Marketing Association. Mr. Frawley earned a Master of Business Administration from Babson College and a Bachelor of Science in Finance from The University of Maine.
Mr. Peter Benz has served on our Board of Directors since June 2015. Mr. Benz is the Chief Executive Officer of Viking Asset Management, LLC, an asset and investment management company which he founded in 2001. Since January 2012, Mr. Benz has served as a director of Starboard Resources, Inc., an onshore oil and natural gas exploration and production company. Mr. Benz has also served as a director of Usell.com, a technology based online market place, since October 2014 and as a director and Chairman of the Board of Optex Systems, Inc.
Mr. Donald Mathis is currently the GM of Growth at Comcast NBCUniversal, where he is responsible for establishing new ventures and initiatives that broaden the company’s offerings, penetrate new markets, and facilitate enterprise transformation. He joined Comcast NBCUniversal in July 2017. Mr. Mathis is also Chairman of Echelon AI (“Echelon”), a NY-based privately held Artificial Intelligence start-up focused on business process automation, predictive data analytics and nextgen digital and cyber security. Mr. Mathis was on the audit and compensation committees of Online Intelligence and remained Executive Chairman until November 2011. Mr. Mathis has an MBA from the Harvard Business School and is a Commander in the U.S. Navy (currently inactive reserve).
CURRENT MANAGEMENT TEAM
Chief Financial Officer
Working closely with senior company executives, Alex focuses on strategic finance initiatives, corporate strategy, and general financial management at Fluent. Alex brings over twenty-two years of corporate finance experience to the CFO role. Prior to joining the team, Mr. Mandel served as Chief Financial Officer of IAC Applications, Inc., a division of IAC/InterActiveCorp. He previously served as the Chief Financial Officer of LendingTree, Inc., an online loan marketplace, during which time his leadership on financial initiatives and corporate strategy was credited with playing an essential role in the resurgence of the company. Starting his career as an investment banker, Alex holds a B.A. in Economics from Tufts University and an M.B.A. from Columbia Business School.
Chief Operation Officer
Don spearheads Fluent’s commercial growth initiatives, including international expansion and the further activation of its massive data assets across addressable channels. An industry veteran, Don served as CEO of Seneca One, a specialty consumer finance company, after acting as President of Infogroup Targeting Solutions and in senior management positions at Merkle. As Merkle’s COO, he was part of the original management team that grew headcount from 40 employees to over 1,500, and revenue from $6 million to over $300 million.
EVP, Product & Technology
Sean spearheads product, data, and technology development at Fluent. The combined efforts of Sean’s teams enable customer engagement and provide actionable insights for Fluent’s advertisers and publishers. A Philadelphia native and graduate of the University of Delaware, Sean’s office is adorned with Eagles paraphernalia to the chagrin of his New York coworkers. He previously worked at Sanky Digital and Clash Media, where he met Ryan Schulke and Matt Conlin during the inception of Fluent.
President, Performance Media Group
Matt oversees the Performance Media Group, responsible for building Fluent’s media brands. His team drives product development, user acquisition, monetization and reengagement strategies that produce scalable, engaging performance programs. Born in Guilford, CT, Matt attended Gettysburg College. Before joining Fluent, he worked at Keypath Education then Clash Media, where he met Matt Conlin and Ryan Schulke at the inception of the company.
Dan handles all legal needs, overseeing risk management and compliance. He also works closely with the product and creative teams to ensure that proprietary products are legally compliant and in-line with industry best practices. Hailing from the Main Line outside of Philadelphia, Dan attended the same high school as Kobe Bryant…though Kobe graduated just a few years after him. Dan earned his BBA from George Washington University, his law degree from University of Miami, and his LLM in tax law from NYU. Before joining Fluent, Dan previously worked for Snackable Media and Hanover Direct.
EVP, Corporate Development
Rob leads merger and acquisition activities, working with members of senior management to help shape the strategic direction of Fluent. Originally from Woodstock, NY, after graduating with an MBA from SUNY Buffalo, Rob fled the winter chill for sunnier climes in Florida. He previously practiced as an account at PwC and led Q Interactive as President until the company joined Fluent in 2016. During his well-earned weekends and days off, Rob enjoys spending time and traveling with his wife and three grown children.
- The Boards meet once every quarter
- Current Committees conduct in-person monthly meetings or telephone conference calls
- Special meeting telephone calls may be scheduled from time to time to discuss non-recurring items, such as executive management appointments or terminations, M&A transactions, Equity or Debt Financings, and any other material items occurring outside of normal course of business
BUFFKIN BAKER CONTACTS
420 Lexington Avenue, Suite 820
New York, NY 10170
Founder & Managing Partner
Partner & Head of Digital Practice