Johns Hopkins Health System is searching for an Associate Senior Counsel for Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital (JHACH) located in St. Petersburg, Florida. As a member of the JHHS legal department, this Florida based attorney will report directly to the Senior Counsel of JHACH. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience in healthcare law and provide on-site counsel regarding hospital operations, patient care, contracts, risk management, physician employment, transactions & business ventures.
This individual will be a hands-on, client-centered attorney who will develop relationships and become a trusted partner of the hospital team. At the direction of the Senior Counsel , this Associate Senior Counsel will also assist in advising various JHACH internal committees, JHACH affiliates, as well as the regulatroy and licensure teams.
With at least 5 years health care legal experience and a passion for healthcare, this mid level attorney will act to promote the mission of JHHS in addition to protecting and preserving the integrity and reputation of the Johns Hopkins Health System Corporation and its affiliates.
JOHNS HOPKINS All CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL
Located in St. Petersburg, Florida, Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital provides expert pediatric care for infants, children and teens with some of the most challenging medical problems in the community and around the world. From establishment in 1926, as the American Legion Hospital for Crippled Children, to 2011, when All Children’s joined the Johns Hopkins Health System as a fully integrated member of Johns Hopkins Medicine, the hospital is guided by its mission to provide leadership in child health through treatment, education, advocacy and research.
Named a top 50 children’s hospital by U.S. News & World Report, JHACH provides access to the most innovative treatments and therapies. Taking part in pediatric medical education and clinical research helps JHACH provide world-class care in more than 43 pediatric medical and surgical subspecialties. With more than half of the total 259 beds devoted to intensive care level services, it is the regional pediatric referral center for Florida’s West Coast.
As a member of Johns Hopkins Medicine, Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital is advancing children’s health through more than 3000 employees committed to living a culture that “great things are possible” which provides inspiration and hope to children and families.
The Johns Hopkins Health System Corporation Legal Department
The Legal Department of The Johns Hopkins Health System is led by SVP & General Counsel, G. Daniel Shealer, Jr. Under his direction, the Department, which consists of approximately 31 attorneys, strives to meet the following mission:
“The mission and purpose of the Johns Hopkins Health System Legal Department is to ensure the health system operates in accordance with the applicable laws and regulations and support the mission, vision and values of the health system. The Legal Department provides high quality legal and strategic advice in support of our clients’ mission and strategic priorities. We serve our clients with an uncompromising commitment to service excellence and responsiveness.”
The department is organized into the following practice groups:
- Business Attorneys
Responsible for negotiation of business transactions and preparation of documents and agreements related to business, corporate, and real estate matters, including international transactions.
- Labor and Employment Attorneys
Responsible for interpretation of and compliance with various employment laws and regulations and collective bargaining agreements and advice on design and content of employment related agreements and policies.
- Information Technology and Commercial Transactions Attorneys
Responsible for review, analysis and negotiation of all types of agreements, especially purchase and sale, information technology, independent contractor, affiliation, and service agreements.
- Risk Management, Patient Care and Medical Staff Attorneys
Responsible for legal advice regarding patient care, medical staff, and ethics issues.
- Claims and Litigation Attorneys
Responsible for advice on matters related to Johns Hopkins Medicine professional liability and general liability claims and risk management issues.
- HIPAA Attorneys
Responsible for advice on all aspects of regulations adopted under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, including privacy, security, and electronic transactions.
- Managed Care and Population Health Attorneys
Responsible for legal advice and guidance in connection with Johns Hopkins Medicine’s managed care, health plan and population health activities.
- JD with five (5) + years of experience in healthcare law required
- Special skills and healthcare knowledge to include:
- Applicable federal and Florida state laws and regulations to include: fraud & abuse laws and HIPAA
- General business and contract law.
- Laws & regulations applicable to practitioners and providers of healthcare
- Physician compensation and employment
- Risk Management & Patient Care issues
- Business & Commercial transactions
- Experience in health care law, with a focus on patient care issues, contracting, medical staff and regulatory practice
- Strong organizational skills with a personal commitment to accountability, customer service, and follow up
- Ability to draft documentation of substantial complexity combined with a track record of working effectively in a high volume environment.
- Track record in maintaining positive, collaborative and effective relationships with physicians, peers, subordinates and superiors
- Strong relationship building skills, personable and collaborative
- Self confident, collegial, and CLIENT oriented
- A counselor, mediator and problem solver
- An interest in & ability to learn new areas of the law
- A results oriented, positive spirit
- A team player with superior listening skills
- Integrity of the highest order
- A desire and ability to relocate to the St Petersburg, Florida area
A Juris Doctor or equivalent law degree from an accredited law school.
Required: Member in good standing of the Florida Bar or licensed to practice law in another state and eligible to provide in-house counsel services in Florida under the corporate exclusion
Continuing legal education involving legal seminars, review and study of legal periodicals and constant review of judicial decisions and legislative enactments and pronouncements.
- Acclimate to the Hopkins culture and Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital
- Assume primary responsibility for business contracting functions at JHACH.
- Following integration into department and system, work collaboratively and independently as right hand of the JHACH Senior Counsel on the range of legal, compliance and regulatory issues affecting the hospital and its affiliated entities.
Reports to: Senior Counsel JHACH
Direct reports: One paralegal
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONIBILITIES
Global Responsibilities under the direction of the Senior Counsel:
- Provides legal advice on a day to day basis with respect to applicable federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations. Assists executives in reviewing and drafting legal agreements.
- Coordinates services with JHHS attorneys and serves as a resource to JHHS attorneys regarding Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital specific issues and Florida law issues.
- Coordinates services with JHU attorneys responsible for research compliance or other legal matters concerning both JHU and Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital.
- Providing legal counsel on a broad range of patient care issues, health care regulatory matters, and other legal concerns.
- Drafting, negotiating and reviewing contracts and other agreements
- Providing legal advice to clinical staff, child protection and patient safety team relating to patient care matters such as consent, privacy, child protection and other health and hospital law matters.
- Drafting and reviewing policies and guidelines relating to patient care, hospital operations and professional standards.
- Assisting with medical staff matters, including matters relating to physician employment and credentialing.
- Handling a high volume of legal work and responding to client demands efficiently and practically.
- Understanding of health care regulatory framework and compliance requirements under federal and Florida law.
- Effectively research legal questions and present findings in a clear, comprehensive manner.
- Supporting the boards of trustees of the hospital and its affiliated institutions.
- Supporting the hospital risk management, regulatory and compliance teams.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and a team approach to work with the ability to collaborate effectively with other members of the legal department and with management and staff of the hospital as a whole.
- Work effectively with colleagues within the legal department of Johns Hopkins Health System and with outside counsel.
A market competitive and attractive compensation package will be offered. Comprehensive benefits are provided.
Our client and The Buffkin Group firmly support the principle and philosophy of equal opportunity for all individuals, regardless of age, race, gender, creed, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other protected category pursuant to applicable federal, state or local law.
Buffkin / Baker
420 Lexington Ave, Suite 820
New York, NY 10170